Thursday, August 28, 2008

8/28 Day/swingtrades

I'm not sure what to make of this rally with the volume tapering off going into the weekend. I started a couple positions but will probably keep it light with the long-weekend. My guess is we hold the gains and maybe even tack on a little more before the institutions sell-off next week.

POT - I bought POT as it crossed over the moving averages and closed out the position today as the opening range could not hold.
Bought @ 178.90
Sold @ 182.90 & 179.70
Profit - $2.40 on Calls


HES - I bought HES as it consolidated at the 105 level and sold yesterday and today on the opening strength.
Bought @ 105.70
Sold @ 109.02 & 108.20
Profit - $2.90 on Calls

X - I bought X as it crossed over the moving averages and sold today as oil started selling off.
Bought @ 128.90
Sold @ 133.45
Profit - 4.55 on shares

ICE - looks to be breaking out of the double-bottom channel. I picked up some Sep 95 Calls.


ABK & WM - I should have gone with any of these below instead of WM last month. Hindsight is always 20/20...and also painful. In any case, I picked up ABK (Sep 7.5 Calls) on the late day strength and WM (Sep 4 Calls) on a potential triple-bottom on the daily. I also daytraded MBI but only eeked out $0.10 despite the late-day strength.





VPHM - Stop @ 13.80

9 comments:

Gio said...

OE... I was just about to ask your opinion on TIE. I knew you would pick it up on your screens. Elliot's Wave Theory shows this to be a false rally. We'll see.

-gio

Gio said...

BTW... I can't believe your trading this low volume market... and winning. That's good stuff. I'm sort of a CANSLIM guy, so that pulls me out the market.

I had shorts in SKF and longs in NYX on my Market-Melt-Up theory heading into august. But, dumped it. Waiting for some real moves.

-gio

Darwin said...

OE, upside momentum in the dollar is waning...this looks like a double top forming. Investors who panicked out of the Euro into the dollar may learn the hard way there's no safe haven in the fiat...this probably bodes well for gold & silver IMO.

OE Trader said...

Damn, your tech puts would have been awesome today!

Darwin said...

Tell me about it...they were holding the trap door shut until today. I also closed my MER too soon yesterday.Good news is there are more opportunities each and every day....

OE Trader said...

Absolutely...there will be tons of opportunities next week. Have a good weekend!

Darwin said...

OE, hope your having a good weekend...I scanned a number of things and one thing popped out at me> Take a ook at the Natty Gas COT chart. Looks like there's a "massive" short position by the large specs. I think the pendulum has swung too far in this regard especially beacuse the commercials are heavily long.The specs are almost always invariably WRONG which would mean we are set up for a strong reversal to the upside almost immediately. That's enough confirmation for me. I'm not waiting...buying Oct 40 calls on UNG.

OE Trader said...

Hey D, had a good weekend, thanks! GL with UNG if you went in. There are a lot of positions tied to Gustav so I'll probably wait for those to get flushed out before taking a position on energy/commodities.

Darwin said...

Lucky again on the gap down this a.m. on UNG-was not able to pull the trigger, someone looking out for me, however I am still looking at this to go long. XLF does not look like it can go much higher, really struggling, may go short (puts) on Sep 21's. Waiting things out a bit here, Q's look to be rolling along weakly as well. Getting murdered, for now, in my GG calls, did not have stop in, but still feel I'm on tthe right side of this trade. My IPI puts saving me for now.