Wednesday, April 29, 2009

4/25 - 4/29 Day/swingtrades - DNDN, SLAB, WFC, LVS

After a couple choppy sessions, we finally got some nice trends today. The bears are definitely getting frustrated as every dip is being bought. There is still a lot of cash on the sidelines so until we get a significant catalyst to the downside, I'm going to continue trading the tape to the long side. I got stopped out of a couple setups myself during the chop but here are a couple decent daytrades and updates on my swings:

DNDN - Similar to a surprise earnings announcements that gaps a stock up, creating support/resistance lines, DNDN announce some news on their drug a couple weeks ago. I kept it on the radar and was finally rewarded when the high established on 4/14 was breached. It didn't take very long to move a couple bucks so I took profits and ran. Fortunately, I wasn't around when the stock plunged later in the day.





SLAB - Earnings were pretty positive so I took a position after the stock consolidated and bounced off the moving averages. Another way to trade this stock was to wait until the opening range high, $32.50, was broken. Notice the 2 red bars after the stock first hits $32.50. Lots of traders will use the opening range high to take profits so expect a pullback and consolidation before breaking through. As in most cases, I used the moving averages as my initial stop so did not get shaken out.




WFC - The post-earnings momentum didn't materialize on Monday so I unloaded the calls for $0.50 loss.


LVS - This has held up nicely the past week. I like seeing those white bars on the daily. It finally got close to my initial target around $8.00 so I unloaded half my May 5 calls. I'm going to trail the stop with the other half. Normally, I'd roll some of the profits into the next strike price but the premiums are a bit expensive for the May 7.5 Calls so I'll wait for a pullback and gauge the overall market conditions.





No comments: