Wednesday, August 20, 2008

8/20 Day/Swingtrades

It was all about solar and energy stocks today. There were a lot of HG set-ups using the 30-min chart after the EIA data release. I only managed to get in on CLR.


AMZN - I anticipated a trend reversal with the market strength in the AM using the 30-min chart but was too early.
Bought @ 82.84, Sep 65 Calls
Sold @ 81.39, Loss - $1.50 on Calls


CME - I thought CME would run with the market strength in the AM but got stopped out later in the day.
Bought @ 341.50, Sep 250 Calls
Sold @ 340.64, Loss - $1.00 on Calls


POT - I sold the calls when it couldn't hold the OR low. It is setting up a narrow range on the 30-min charts with a more defined stop-level so I'm going to load up on calls if it can break-out tomorrow.
Bought @ 174.43, Sep 120 Calls
Sold @ 176.00, Profit - $1.00 on Calls


X - I sold X as it dropped following the EIA data. I should have re-entered later in the day but I was too focused on the solars. I'll try to get back in if it gains traction tomorrow morning.
Bought @ 134.00, Sep 100 Calls
Sold 1/2 @ 137.70, Profit - $3.00 on Calls
Sold remaining position @ 139.17, Profit - $5.00 on Calls


SPWR - It traded up to $93.84 but I wasn't quick enough to take profits. I wasn't too impressed with the price action and volume as compared to other solars but will keep this in play.
Stop @ 90.90


GG - Took some profits:
Bought @ 31.15, Sep 25 Calls
Sold 1/2 @ 32.80
Profit - $1.30 on Calls


CLR -
Bought @ 49.94, Sep 30 Calls


LDK - I should still be holding this from 40 had I not tried to daytrade it with a tight stop last week. I did pick up some Calls as it broke the narrow range and OR high. I ended up exiting towards the close as I'm overweight the solars right now.
Bought @ 45.73, Sep 35 Calls
Sold @ 47.16
Profit - $1.30 on Calls




CSIQ - I'm loaded with SPWR and SOL calls so I went with OTM Sep 35 Calls in case this one keeps running.
Bought @ 31.27, Sep 35 Calls
Stop @ 27.00



SOL - I didn't plan on re-entering SOL after the non-action yesterday but I had already picked up LDK and SPWR in the AM and saw this nice set-up as I was scanning the rest of the solars. I picked up some Sep 12.5 Calls as it crossed the OR high with the volume spike.
Bought @ 18.88, Sep 12.5 Calls
Stop @ 17.90




VPHM - I had an alert on this stock to buy when it crossed 13.50 last week. Earnings were pretty good and it has held up very well the past few weeks. However, I wasn't thrilled about the volume and felt it needed a rest after rising a few consecutive days. Anyways, it got a rest yesterday so I picked up a few Sep 12.5 & 15 Calls.
Bought @ 14.50, Sep 12.5 & 15 Calls
Stop @ 13.40


4 comments:

Darwin said...

OE, back in XLF 19's puts (boat load)...also pressed more on LEH...sold CVX sep 85's at a nice profit. Do we break down across the board??? sur feels like it.

OE Trader said...

I'm leaning towards a rebound. Market is not that bad given high oil and financial problems. I sold CLF, GG and some SPWR this morning. Picked up a few AMZN & POT calls.

Darwin said...

Tech seems a little overbought imo. I'm afraid of anything AG, I would have guessed these are due for a rest/pullback. You're right about financial problems alright...the other shoe is soon to drop...IMO. I almost bought puts on AEM but hesitated...which tells me a "no go" for now. We'll see what unfolds tomorrow-I'm thinking (hoping) we go down in the a.m. or late afternoon. Still holding all positions previously mentioned...my stops are loose, however. Good luck Friday OE.

OE Trader said...

It feels like all the senior traders are on vacation and the junior guys are running the show, rotating from sector to sector. I'll be rotating back to tech/healthcare in the near-term. GL on your positions.