Tuesday, August 5, 2008

8/5 Swingtrades

I had time to incude intraday 30-min charts. As I mentioned previously, the 30-min timeframe has been helpful to gauge trend reversals. Despite volatility on Fed days, you'll notice the common theme on most of the charts...low risk narrow ranges where I can define a reasonable stop...and stocks trading above the moving averages. I'll be scaling out on any opening strength in the AM. There are still a lot of shorts in the market and today's strength should spur some more covering tomorrow.

POT - This has sold off 50+ since last week. Given the strength in the market, I was looking for a reversal all day. However, the 5, 15 and 30-min charts are all still trending down. I switched to the 1-min and bought as it crossed the moving averages with increased volume. I had planned to place a stop at 160.00 where there is some support but since I entered near the lows of the day, I'll place it at 166.00. I'll move it up if there is a gap open reversal at the open.
Bought @ 169.28, Aug 175.00 Calls (only a few calls here since I'm betting against all the longer term timeframes)


CME - This has come down over 50+ points since last week as well. I waited for the stock to trade back above the moving averages. I entered on the break of the narrow range...a bit late actually.
Bought @ 334.50, Aug 280 Calls



LEH - I re-entered as it held up following the Fed announcement and broke the narrow range.
Bought @ 19.29, Aug 17.5 Calls




UAUA - I entered following the initial spike above last week's highs. The daily chart looks good on this one if oil continues to correct.
Bought @ 9.70, Aug 7.5 Calls



SHLD - I re-entered as it crossed 90.50. It is still trading above the averages and the strong close suggests further short covering in the AM.
Bought @ 91.00, Aug 95 Calls




WM - re-entered as it broke the narrow range following the Fed announcement
Bought @ 5.10, Aug 5 Calls


2 comments:

Darwin said...

OE, with you again on WAMU....like minds think alike I guess(giving myself too much credit). Wish you had a twitter so I can jump in with you at times on some of your recs. Have had the airlines (JBLU & LUV) for several weeks. I saw UPSIDE with the UAUA chart this a.m. but did not jump. PFE goes ex-dividend tomorrow so may see a small set back. Gold is once again out of favor which tells me some of these stocks may be seeing the final throws of capitulation-AEM, ABX, GG-will look to pu over the next couple of days a couple of these names.

OE Trader said...

D, see my post in your honor. I'm suddenly sick and will be puking the rest of the evening. Great...GREAT call on PFE!